Friday, May 18, 2012

Day -3

Today we got an early start on the day again.  The team came in around 4:00 AM for EKG, blood draws and vitals.  I did manage to nod off again until 6:30 morning meds.  After that I got up to prepare for a work call at 8:30.  The blood work came back around 7:00 and my numbers are still very high which keeps me with a lot of energy. The human body is amazing.  My white blood cell (WBC) count is above average as a result of the invasion of chemotherapy agents in my system so my body produces more WBCs to fight the chemo.  This is a fight that can't be won (and why we're here) particularly with the escalating dosage of chemo each night.  Tonight my rATG is at 125mg and will remain that way for the next 3 nights in addition to the 3,945mg of Cytoxan. 

After breakfast we went for a walk and today I actually counted the laps around cell block 15 to make sure it was one mile.  It felt good to walk.  Because my WBC count is high there's a risk of an MS exacerbation so they pump me full of steroids prednisolone and Solumedrol 1g.  This in addition to the high WBC count makes me quite jittery and as Bea said a little too hyper.  We had a visit from the chaplain today and Bea said I talked for 35 minutes straight without stopping. There is a little boredom at play too. 

Tonight I just ate and am ready for bed.  I'm wearing the new comfy jammies Bea bought for me.  I think they kicked up the Benadryl tonight to match the higher dose of rATG.  Bea is sleeping with me tonight which makes me feel great.  The staff here really goes out of their way to not only make the patient comfortable but family and visitors too.  For her pull out bed they brought her pillows and an extra foam mattress to go on top of the cushions.  My sister came back tonight and we had another nice visit before they left for the train to NY. 

Tomorrow will be exactly the same as today...  14 more days of this??  Yikeeeees. 

Good night!




No comments:

Post a Comment