Friday, June 1, 2012

Day + 11

Today was a great day!  What a wonderful treat to wake up to bright sunshine, beautiful green trees and most important doing it in my own house.  The night wasn't great for sleep.  I think it will take a little time to rid my body of all the drugs but coming downstairs around 6:00 to my own coffee, my own newspaper and morning TV shows was priceless. 

My day today was dominated by overwhelming fatigue.  I can't believe how powerful the effects of HSCT have been on my body.  In a day that did not have any other pain or major symptom, the fatigue was unrelenting.  A trip up the stairs required rest! 

It was very nice to sit outside and feel the breeze and just rest and share with Mom and Dad before they head home to SC tomorrow.  I spoke with Kim from Dr. Burt's office who called just to check in to see how I was feeling and confirm I had the plan set for weekly lab draws and my medications.  Their care and commitment is so appreciated. 

Bea and I got a lot done around the house.  Lot's of appointments for next week: Pool, lawn, roof, AC, garage door.  Next week will be a busy week.  I also got a lot more work done than I have in over a week. 

Despite the fatigue I did notice a couple of cool things.  On a weekly basis I have to sign about 150-200 checks for work.  This task had become increasingly difficult in recent months as the numbness in my right hand was not only making it difficult to turn the stack of checks one at a time but the fatigue in my hand made holding the pen difficult.  Today I could actually feel the edge of each paper with my finger to flip the checks one by one!  The fatigue from signing was about the same. Also, coming down the stairs in my house I actually felt my left leg bend a little bit!  It wasn't completely locked up with spasticity requiring unnatural gyrations in my back to find the next step.  It was slight and the fatigue was so strong I was moving very slow but it was there. 

Unfortunately the next week will be cool and cloudy so I'll need to wait to tan my cue ball.  Tomorrow the big item on the agenda will be Matthew's soccer game and a lot of rest. 

My future posts will be limited to days with significant updates to report.  I hope this journal serves to help at least one other MS patient considering this aggressive procedure to stop their MS.  I have enjoyed writing this as it has brought feedback from many I love and it was those messages from you that helped me get through the difficult days. 

If anyone has any questions regarding HSCT for MS please do not hesitate to contact me.  The best way to reach me is kevmgrace@aol.com 

Thank you again for all of your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment