Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Day + 16

Good things come to those who wait.  The events from over the weekend causing bothersome L'hermitte's symptoms have subsided significantly.  My Neurologist in NY fit me in for an appointment on Monday afternoon and recommended 2 days of high dose steroids 1 gram of Solumedrol to cool me down.  After confirming with Dr. Burt this was ok I received the steroids Monday and Tuesday.  This round affected me more than usual assumably because of my suppressed immunity.  The major symptoms of high dose steroids to me are agitation, insomnity and hiccups but they worked and today I have had a lot less attacks than the last 5 days!!!

After the infusion yesterday I went for the weekly lab draws for Chicago.  I received a call today from one of Dr. Burt's nurses informing me Dr. Burt reviewed some of the results and my white blood count is 36!!!  This is the same WBC count that for 10 days recently was <0.1  The normal maximum level for WBC is 13.  She informed me this is probably because of the high dose steroids and it will  normalize shortly.  She advised it will probably increase my fatigue and she is correct.  Bea and I still did some running around today but I am more tired than the last few days.

Today I broke down and went for the handicapped parking permit.  I have resisted this for the last couple of years but reading posts from fellow MS'ers recently convinced me that this was nothing to be ashamed of.  There was one post from someone who wrote "I'll give you my parking permit but you have to take my MS with it"  I think that was the turning point for me.  Bea and I got the paperwork together and the doctor's note and it was processed within 10 minutes :))  I can't wait for my first opportunity to race some 90 year old lady to the last handicapped spot at the mall!!  Haha!  In truth I will use it sparingly on days that I feel I need it (anyone buying that??) 

As of 4:00 today our pool is officially open.  It's a cool 72 degrees but it's blue and mostly clear!  We ordered a solar pool cover which will be installed next week.  Our pool has great sun exposure all day so I think it will be very effective. 

It's actually nice not to have much to report.  I'm settling into a good routine of working from home, getting some errands done and I will force myself to rest a good part of the day as well. 

I have received some interesting messages recently from blog readers with great questions.  This is why I wrote this so please keep them coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment