Sunday, April 22, 2012

It's Go Time...

After almost 8 months of countless conversations, studies, applications, evaluations and phone calls, tomorrow I will start the mobilization process of AHSCT.  In so many ways I am a lucky man.  There were many times this journey could have been stopped for very good reasons.  But alas tomorrow my wife and I will start the most important treatment in the 10 years since my diagnosis to stop the progression of this hideous disease and with continued luck reverse some of the physical deficit I have incurred particularly in the past year. 

This treatment comes just in time.  Yesterday on our way to the gate for our flight I couldn't walk all the way to the gate without stopping to rest.  The stress of leaving home, our kids, work etc. took it's toll and stress always has an impact on my mobility.  As I sat in a chair in the middle of the hallway tingling from head to toe, angry and embarrassed, my wife approached me with a wheelchair.  For 10 years since my diagnosis my worst fear has been "the chair".  I had never used one and I stared at it for what seemed like an eternity.  A wheelchair for me has always meant the end, failure and misery.  My wife was so amazing in her caring approach.  She cajoled me by insisting this was nothing to be thought of seriously.  I acquiesced but insisted that I wheel myself, however as soon as I sat down she whisked me down the smooth floor of the terminal.  She joked that she couldn't believe how easy it was to push.  Thankfully the ride ended as quickly as it began as we turned the corner and found the food court.  Given that I had already been resting and then staring at the chair for 10 minutes I was able to jump up and walk in the food court, the plane and thankfully the rest of the day including 2 hours of shopping last night to stock the apartment.  Evenings are always better for my mobility for some reason.

We arrived in chilly Chicago last night and moved in to our wonderful apartment on the 56th floor of a luxury building a few blocks away from Northwestern.  My wife and I are both freaks about smells and thankfully this apartment looks and smells great.  It is a beautiful one bedroom unit with a modern kitchen and bath both decorated nicely with granite, marble and new appliances.  I must thank again my friend Chad Pfefer for recommending these units at 30 E. Huron.  Dr. Chad completed HSCT a few months ago at Northwestern and he's back to work with his practice in Oregon continuing his recovery.  Chad's blog can be found at www.caringbridge.org/visit/chadpfefer 

Today we started the day at a beautiful mass at the Holy Name Cathedral right across the street from our apartment.  It was a coincidence to have this beautiful place so close to us.  From there we went for wings and a beer for lunch to watch the Knicks game (my kind of day).  We walked quite a bit downtown after a movie to and through the Navy Piers.  This city sure would be beautiful if it ever gets above 30 degrees without gale force winds!

Tomorrow I start with some baseline lab draws at 7:30 AM followed by admission around 8:00.  From what I understand this will be a long day of waiting around for treatment, forms etc. I had a nice call with my 13 year old son Matthew this evening wishing me luck and I've heard from many people wishing me well.  The worst part of this process is imposing in so many people's lives to care for, worry about and pray for me.  Hopefully we will all see great results in a few months.  VAMOS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment